What does BB8 stand for? In the name of simplicity, I hereby dub thee BB8 to stand for Banana Blueberry 8 ingredient smoothie (I guess not THAT simple).
I was too tempted not to call this the BB8 smoothie. I didn’t want to get anyone too excited, but what the hell!
It’s not star wars related, but it is pretty out-of-this-world delicious. The Greek yogurt and almond (or peanut) butter give needed protein that’ll help you feel full and be ready to fuck shit up as a Jedi or just a badass.
Any time before nine in the morning is too early for me usually. This smoothie makes it worth it though. Fortunately, it doesn’t take that long to make at all.
- 2/3 cup almond, coconut, or low fat milk
- 1 banana
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- A handful of greens*
- ¼ cup of low fat plain Greek yogurt (store brand is fine. I love Fage when I can afford it)
- 1 tablespoon almond or other nut butter
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch or two of cinnamon
I recommend adding all of these ingredients in the order I have written if you use a Nutri-bullet, Nutri-Ninja, or any kind of blender that you flip upside down. If you’re using a standard blender, add the greens first. Fruit should go next, and then the addition of yogurt and liquids should follow.
If you’re using the force, I recommend just throwing it all in there in whatever way you want.
Adjust according to your own taste! I sometimes feel like using an ungodly amount of blueberries, but that can be expensive. This is the best balance I have found
- When I say handful of greens, I mean it’s up to you which type of green leafy veggie you want to use. I love to use kale, baby spinach, or a combination of the two. If you decide to use kale, chop it up a little bit and add honey to the smoothie to counter any bitterness.
- The frozen blueberries are great if you don’t have time to chill the smoothie. When I need to make it to go, I always use frozen fruit.
- DON’T use ice. It’ll become watery very quickly.
Apparently, there are many variations of this smoothie online. I’m not going to say they aren’t good. Maybe they are, but this is fantastic. Even after all my experimenting, I always go back to this.